Thursday 12 June 2014

Early Summer Reads

Well I've been a bit absent lately, but sometimes I think that's a good thing. I know it isn't like this for everyone, but when I spend too much time on the internet I start to feel like my brain is melting and my soul is being sucked out into cyberspace. So once in awhile I put down the phone, put away the laptop, and try to connect with the world around me rather than the one in front of my face; doing so for the past few weeks has made me feel a bit like I'm on vacation. 

This month, I've been doing a lot of scrapbooking, which is something I never thought I would say. Ever.
However, I decided that for the sake of my girls I should create a space where all of their NICU pictures and memories are collected, so one day they can go back and see what the first few months of their lives were like for them (and for us!) Also, it gives me somewhere to put all of the NICU photos without including them in my regular family/baby photo albums... I still feel a lot of trauma from that experience and I'd prefer to trap those memories somewhere I will never stumble upon them by accident. I'm not going to lie, it's been pretty emotional printing and documenting all the captured moments and my feelings at the time, but I'm glad I've finally gotten around to it. In some ways, despite the discomfort, I think processing the experience rather than burying it in a box in my head is helping me heal. 

Speaking of which, this month I've started planning my girls' first birthday party, which is such a crazy feeling. I feel like the party isn't just for Scarlett and Olivia but also for Shawn and I, as the day of their birth was the start of such an overwhelming rollercoaster for us; needless to say, we're both very emotional about it, and are excited yet nervous too for the day to come. That being said, we're both really shitty party throwers/decorators, and we're planning on picking up food trays from the grocery store, so it won't be too fancy, but fancy parties aren't really "us" anyways. I always love looking at birthday parties on Pinterest, but for us making memories and celebrating with those we love is much more important than what colour napkins or balloons we buy, so ultimately that's where our focus goes.

Despite all this, I've still managed to keep up with my reading, of course, so I thought I'd pump out a few reviews and show you all a few books you should DEFINITELY add to your summer reading list if you've got a little time on your hands. 
Check them out, I promise you won't regret it!
Hope you're all enjoying your June... it won't be long now before summer is really upon us!
xx 




No comments:

Post a Comment