Sunday 30 October 2016

When The One isn't The One

     I remember all the details of my wedding- the soft lace dress I’d loved instantly before I’d ever tried it on; the red roses that were so important to me to include; the reception hall I stayed up all night decorating the evening before. But mostly, I remember the unbearably cold March wind that left myself and all my bridesmaids shivering violently during our outside, lakeside photos. I think that coldness stayed with me that whole day, beyond the pictures and all through our distant and unaffectionate reception that my husband and I cut out of early. It stayed with me even as I slipped under the scalding bath water when we arrived home later that night, our car full of gifts but our hearts strangely empty. I cried in the tub then; maybe it was the hormones my unexpected twin pregnancy was firing off in my system, but it felt more like a massive sense of uncertainty and disappointment.

     I loved my husband then, and I love him even more now as my friend and the father of my children. I don’t blame him for things happening the way that they did- how could I, when I think of all those nights he slept on a hospital floor during my preterm labour, or how he held a vomit tray for me during my caesarean, or the fact that he embraced fatherhood better than any other dad I met during our time in the NICU? I was so scared of breaking my tiny babies that for a while after they were born I rarely touched them- my husband, on the other hand, changed every hospital diaper for at least the first month that we were there. He was the primary bath-giver to our girls, tenderly soaping their skin folds that were limp and wrinkled rather than plump, and taped the palm-sized preemie diapers over their fragile forms. He is such a good man, full of warmth, and kindness, and patience, and loves our children unconditionally.

But he’s not The One.

     I wish he could have been- God, I tried for years to make him into my person or to make myself his. He was my best friend, but as a romantic partner it was always so hard. However, I couldn’t give up, so instead I gave up the things that I believed in. I tried to change myself to fit the marriage, but my mind and body resisted so fiercely; I found that I was at war with my instincts, fighting against my very being. Depression sunk in, and while I smiled so hard on the outside, on the inside I was drowning. I asked myself endlessly, “is this all there is?”
     Though I went back to school, spent more time with friends and family, exercised, endlessly tried to self-improve, and read and read and read and prayed and prayed and prayed, nothing could prevent my slow slide into misery and monotony. I began to have anxiety attacks of which I could never properly identify the origin. My marriage felt like a tumor, slowly but surely suffocating me, a snuffer closing in on my flame. Or maybe it was consuming me a bit at a time- it’s hard to say really, except that I was undeniably disappearing.

     Maybe it’s because I got married when I was 22, though I suppose age is just a number. It really breaks down to the fact that I had almost no schooling, no real work experience, no travel experience, hell no real life experience to speak of when I decided who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. When I got married, I didn’t even know how to drive- my independence was an illusion, and I was happy to accept it. But I’ve grown since then, grown so much that for years I’ve been pushing the binds of my marriage, constantly rearranging myself to find a comfortable position (and never really succeeding).

     And even though we’ve finally decided to end it, that doesn’t mean I’m relieved of the pain. I’m heartbroken, and especially disillusioned, a feeling that drives like a freight train right into your guts and keeps coming, each car a new and separate blow.

     But I see the light. Or more specifically, I see this rainbow explosion of happy emojis bursting and firing sparkly joy shrapnel all over my future. I know it’s coming, and I know one day I’ll wake up and feel like I’m finally in the right place at the right time, exactly where I’m intended to be. A day where instead of wondering “is this all there is?” I’ll think, “this is what it’s all about.” And mistakes aside, that, I think, is all that really matters.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in this same place as you were. Although my husband is older, & the complete opposite of how you described your husband. I married after we got pregnant of 6 months of just knowing one another at the age of 21 him 29.
    I was young, 12 yrs later we are still married, 6 yrs ago he cheated on me, I accepted him back by the grace of God but today.. I'm in your shoes. I'm tired of trying, & doing, & giving.. I'd love to keep up with you, I'm on IG Kalawhon Thank you for this Read. Kim :) New follower

    ReplyDelete